[Numpy-discussion] [NumPy] #188: dtype should have "nice looking" str representation

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jul 20 23:25:43 CDT 2006

NumPy wrote:
> #188: dtype should have "nice looking" str representation
> -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  sebhaase     |        Owner:  oliphant
>      Type:  enhancement  |       Status:  closed
> Changes (by oliphant):
>
>   * status:  new => closed
>   * resolution:  => wontfix
>
> Comment:
>
>  I'm not sure what the best thing to display here actually is.  The current
>  string is very informative.  Dropping the byte-ordering character is a
>  bad-idea.

Just yesterday I showed the new numpy a colleague of mine and he indeed
read "<i4" as "less than int 4" !!!
Would it be conceivable to have str() being different from repr() ?
Most interactive shells are setup to return repr() - but I have already
customized our lab's "sys._displayhook" so that the shell responds with
  str(),  since
.29999999999998 instead of .3  was never acceptable to me in a "matlab
replacement" ...

(Of course I can adjust my displayhook function further if the encoded
"<i4" is really important for you)

Thanks anyway,
Sebastian Haase