[Numpy-discussion] numpy vs numeric benchmarks

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Jun 2 12:07:27 CDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Filip Wasilewski wrote:
>

>> So the next question is what's the difference between matrixmultiply and
>> dot in NumPy?
>>

> matrixmultiply is a deprecated compatibility name. Always use dot. dot will get
> replaced with the optimized dotblas implementation when an optimized BLAS is
> available. matrixmultiply will not (probably not intentionally, but I'm happy
> with the current situation).

It's true that matrixmultiply has been deprecated for some time (at
least 8 years...)   The basic dot function gets over-written with a
BLAS-optimized version but the matrixmultiply does not get changed.  So
replace matrixmultiply with dot.   It wasn't an intentional thing, but
perhaps it will finally encourage people to always use dot.

-Travis