[Numpy-discussion] Suggestions for NumPy

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 2 14:46:57 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:27:45 +0200
Joris De Ridder <joris at ster.kuleuven.be> wrote:
>    [CB]: I was reacting to a post a while back that suggested
> pointing people [CB]: searching for numpy to the main scipy page,
> which I did not think was a [CB]: good idea.
>
> That would be my post :o)
>
> The reasons why I suggested this are
>
> 1) www.scipy.org is at the moment the most informative site on numpy
> 2) of all sites www.scipy.org looks currently most professional
> 3) a wiki-style site where everyone can contribute is really great
> 4) I like information to be centralized. Having to check pointers,
> docs and cookbooks on two different sites is inefficient
> 5) Two different sites inevitably implies some duplication of the work
>
> Just as you, I am not (yet) a scipy user, I only have numpy installed
> at the moment. The principal reason is the same as the one you
> mentioned. But for me this is an extra motivation to merge scipy.org
> and numpy.org:
>
> 6) merging scipy.org and numpy.org will hopefully lead to a larger
> SciPy community and this in turn hopefully leads to user-friendly
> installation procedures.

My only concern with this is numpy is positioned for a wider audience:
everybody who needs arrays, and the extra speed that numpy gives, but
doesn't need what scipy gives. So merging the two could lead to
confusion on what provides what, and what you need to do which.
For instance, I don't want potential numpy users to be directed to
scipy.org, and be turned off with all the extra stuff it seems to have
(that scipy, not numpy, provides). But I think this can be handled if
we approach scipy.org as serving both purposes.

But I think is this the best option, considering how much crossover
there is.

http://arbutus.physics.mcmaster.ca/dmc/ |cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca