[Numpy-discussion] Supporting both NumPy and Numeric versions of a module

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 15 16:38:02 CDT 2006

Hi all,

We are getting ready to release some Python software that supports
both NumPy and Numeric.

As we have it now, if somebody wanted to use our software with NumPY,
they would have to download the binary distribution that was built
with NumPy and install that. Otherwise, they have to download the
binary distribution that was built with Numeric and install that.

We are using Python's distutils, and I'm trying to figure out if
there's a way in which I can have both distributions installed to one
package directory, and then the __init__.py file would try to figure
out which one to import on behalf of the user (i.e. it would try to
figure out if the user had already imported NumPy, and if so, import
the NumPy version of the module; otherwise, it will import the Numeric
version of the module).

This is turning out to be a bigger pain than I expected, so I'm
turning to this group to see if anybody has a better idea, or should I
just give up and release these two distributions separately?

Thanks,

--Mary