[Numpy-discussion] flatiter and inequality comparison

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Jun 23 16:19:13 CDT 2006

Alan G Isaac wrote:

>I do not understand how to think about this:
>
>    >>> x=arange(3).flat
>    >>> x
>    <numpy.flatiter object at 0x01BD0C58>
>    >>> x>2
>    True
>    >>> x>10
>    True
>
>Why?  (I realize this behaves like xrange,
>so this may not be a numpy question,
>but I do not understand that behavior either.)

The flatiter object didn't have comparisons implemented so I guess it
was using some default implementation.  This is quite confusing and
option 2 does make sense (an array of resulting comparisions is returned).

Thus now:

 >> x=arange(3).flat
 >>> x>2
array([False, False, False], dtype=bool)
 >>> x>1
array([False, False, True], dtype=bool)
 >>> x>0
array([False, True, True], dtype=bool)