[Numpy-discussion] logical_and operator, &&, is missing?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:32:16 CDT 2006

Eric Firing wrote:
> That makes sense, and implies that the real solution would be the
> introduction of operators && and || into Python, or a facility that
> would allow extensions to add operators.  I guess it would be a matter
> of having hooks into the parser.  I have no idea whether either of these
> is a reasonable goal--but it certainly would be a big plus for Numpy.

I don't really see how. We already have the & and | operators. The only
difference between them and the && and || operators would be that the latter
would automatically coerce to boolean arrays. But you can do that explicitly, now.

   a.astype(bool) | b.astype(bool)

Of course, it's highly likely that you are applying & and | to arrays that are
already boolean. Consequently, I don't see a real need for more operators.

But if you'd like to play around with the grammar:

   http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/EE.html

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."