[Numpy-discussion] fread codes versus numpy types

Glen W. Mabey Glen.Mabey at swri.org
Wed Jun 28 10:44:11 CDT 2006

Hello,

I see the following character codes defined in scipy (presumably) for
use with scipy.io.fread() :

In [20]:scipy.Complex
Out[20]:'D'

In [21]:scipy.Complex0
Out[21]:'D'

In [22]:scipy.Complex128
Out[22]:'G'

In [23]:scipy.Complex16
Out[23]:'F'

In [24]:scipy.Complex32
Out[24]:'F'

In [25]:scipy.Complex64
Out[25]:'D'

In [26]:scipy.Complex8
Out[26]:'F'

Then I see the following scalar types also defined:

In [27]:scipy.complex64
Out[27]:<type 'complex64scalar'>

In [28]:scipy.complex128
Out[28]:<type 'complex128scalar'>

In [29]:scipy.complex256
Out[29]:<type 'complex256scalar'>

which correspond to types that exist within the numpy module.  These
names seem to conflict in that (unless I misunderstand what's going on)
scipy.complex64 actually occupies 64 bits of data (a 32-bit float for
each of {real, imag}) whereas scipy.Complex64 looks like it occupies 128
bits of data (a 64-bit double for each of {real, imag}).

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a naming inconsistency?

Glen