[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Alan Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Jun 30 08:50:52 CDT 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I am, however, sympathetic to the arguments for wanting
> floating-point defaults.   I wanted to change this
> originally but was convinced to not make such a major
> change for back-ward compatibility (more on that later).

Before 1.0, it seems right to go with the best design
and take some short-run grief for it if necessary.

If the right default is float, but extant code will be hurt,
then let float be the default and put the legacy-code fix
(function redefinition) in the compatability module.

One view ...

Alan Isaac