[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 10:25:20 CDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Scott Ransom <sransom at nrao.edu> wrote:
> +1 for float64 for me as well.

+1 for float64

I have lots of code overriding the int defaults by hand which were
giving me grief with hand-written extensions (which were written
double-only for speed reasons).  I'll be happy to clean this up.

I completely understand Travis' concerns about backwards
compatibility, but frankly, I think that right now the quality and
community momentum of numpy is already enough that it will carry
things forward.  People will suffer a little during the porting days,
but they'll be better off in the long run.  I don't think we should
undrestimate the value of eternal happiness :)

Besides, decent unit tests will catch these problems.  We all know
that every scientific code in existence is unit tested to the smallest
routine, so this shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Cheers,