[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Jun 30 13:55:27 CDT 2006

Jonathan Taylor wrote:

>+1 for some sort of float.  I am a little confused as to why Float64
>is a particularly good choice.  Can someone explain in more detail?
>Presumably this is the most sensible ctype and translates to a python
>float well?

O.K.

I'm convinced that we should change to float as the default, but
*everywhere* as Sasha says.   We will provide two tools to make the
transition easier.

1) The numpy.oldnumeric sub-package will contain definitions of changed
functions that keep the old defaults (integer).  This is what
convertcode replaces for import Numeric calls so future users who make
the transition won't really notice.

2) A function/script that can be run to convert all type-less uses of
the changed functions to explicitly insert dtype=int.

Yes, it will be a bit painful (I made the change and count 6 failures in
NumPy tests and 34 in SciPy).    But, it sounds like there is support
for doing it.  And yes, we must do it prior to 1.0 if we do it at all.

Comments?

-Travis