[Numpy-discussion] Re: Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 1 13:43:03 CDT 2006

Just to clarify the issue with regard to numarray since one person
brought it up. When we (STScI) are finished getting all our software
running under numpy--and we are well more than halfway there--we will
start drawing down support for numarray. It won't suddenly stop, but
less and less effort will go into it and eventually none. That
transition time (starts when we can run all our software on numpy and
stops when we no longer support numarray at all) will probably be on
the order of 6 months, but note that for much of that time, the support
will likely be limited to dealing with major bugs only or support for
new versions of major platforms. We will note the start and stop points
of this transition on the numpy and scipy lists of course.

After that, any support for it will have to come from elsewhere.
(Message: if you use numarray, you should be planning now to make the
transition if 6 months isn't enough time)

Perry