[Numpy-discussion] fold distutils back into Python distro?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Mar 1 16:14:03 CST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>As I understand it, numpy (or maybe it's scipy) has its own fork of
>distutils.  What would it take to fold it back into the main distribution?

I guess a PEP that nobody has been willing to write.  I suspect that not
all of the numpy extensions are going to be seen as necessary by the
Python people, and I don't know of anybody that's been willing to try
and wrestle with that legwork.

And just for clarification.  As far as I understand it, it's not
technically a fork of distutils.  It is based on distutils but just
extends it in many ways (i.e. new subclasses that extend from the
Distutils classes).

Pearu is the expert on it, however.

-Travis