[Numpy-discussion] numexpr

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Sun Mar 5 16:30:53 CST 2006

I just commited a bunch of changes to numexpr in the sandbox (BTW,
thanks to Robert Kern for pointing me to the right location for that).

At this point, there's a fairly complete framework for evaluationg
numeric expressions (as long as they're not complex, and have unit
stride and are all the same size etc, OK maybe not so complete, but
potentially very useful nonetheless). A couple basic operations (** and
%) need to be filled in as well as a bunch of functions. Still most
basic operaions work. A bunch of 2- and 3-arg functions work as well
as 'where'.

I'll wait to hear from David Cooke to see how he likes the current
function framework -- if he likes it, I'll go ahead and fill in the
other common functions. It would also  be nice to support sum and
product as David mentioned, but I haven't though about that at all yet.

At some point I'd like to add support for complex numbers as well, but
I'd like to let the floating point stuff settle a bit first.

-tim