[Numpy-discussion] Access to C/C++, typemaps, pyrex...

Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 13 21:13:01 CST 2006

Quoting Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org>:

> I think that's what he was saying.  I think it's a good idea.  I've
> created both a pyrex and a swig directory under numpy/doc and placed the
> files there.  More can be added, of course, like an example of how to
> use them.
>
> They will get "installed" to the doc directory as well:
> <site-packages>/numpy/doc

Just curious Travis: why did you only put in the .i/.pxd files and not the whole
directories?  I think that for this particular problem, there is a lot of value
in the surrounding code.  In both cases, the extra code provides examples of
how to use each tool (swig/pyrex), there are tests, and a valid setup.py
script.  For a user who is not familiar with distutils, this can be quite
useful, and I think in general it is a lot easier to get off the ground with a
new system when you can grab an example directory which works 'out of the box'
and start modifying it.

If you have any concerns about the code, let me know and I'll be happy to
address them, but I really think that this will be much more useful to everyone
if each directory contains a complete, working example.

Regards,