[Numpy-discussion] dot and deallocation bug?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Mar 13 23:18:02 CST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've run across an odd error in my numpy install related to numpy.dot
> with python lists of floats.
>
> Now, I haven't updated from svn in a while (I'm currently using numpy
> to do some data analysis, so I'm not changing things until that's
> done). Perhaps someone could confirm whether this is still a bug in
> the current version?
>
> Here's how I reproduce the error (OS X 10.4.5), python 2.4.2:
This is a bug in the error-handling section of the optimized BLAS code.
I see it too.

The reason you don't see it for non floating point and/or higher than
2-d is that the there is an optimized dot function that is taking over
for floating point and complex floating point code which uses the BLAS.

So, you are exercising different sections of code.  The optimized
_dotblas.c file has been the source of quite a few bugs.  The slower but
less buggy version is always available as numpy.core.multiarray.dot

Thanks for finding this one.

-Travis