[Numpy-discussion] Status of pyfits with numpy?

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 16 11:12:11 CST 2006

Andrew,

We are in the process of preparing an "alpha" release of a
numpy-compatible version of pyfits.  I have recently merged my
numpy-pyfits branch with the pyfits trunk so if you do not wish to wait
for a release you can grab it our of SVN with:

svn co http://astropy.scipy.org/svn/pyfits/trunk pyfits

This version of pyfits is not well tested but you are welcome to try it
out and send me bug reports.

A couple of people have already tried an earlier version and have
reported some issues with the table support.  We are currently working
to address those issues.

If you have both numpy and numarray installed you can make pyfits switch
between them by setting an environment variable called NUMERIX.  NUMERIX
= 'numarray' for numarray.  NUMERIX = 'numpy' for numpy.  If the
variable isn't set, and both packages are installed, pyfits will default
to the numarray version.  If only one package is installed then pyfits
will use that package.

Chris