[Numpy-discussion] Current SVN segfaults under VC7

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:26:14 CST 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> I just updated from CVS and compiled using VC7. The resulting numpy
> segfaults immediately on import. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> It's been a couple of weeks probably since I updated from CVS, so I'm
> not sure where to start looking. I suppose I could start going back in
> time until it works again and then see what checkins broke it, but if
> anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

You definitely need to remove your build directory.   It is a build
dependency issue (some needed generated code is not getting rebuilt when
it should be).  I'm not sure how to fix it, so I remove the build
directory.

It shows up when the C-API changes more significantly then just
appending new C-API calls.  It changed significantly recently as I moved
the version checking C-API to the very front (so it won't move around in
the future -- no matter what is done to the C-API), and I added the
fixed Boolean array scalar True and False objects.

The segfaults in scipy should disappear upon rebuild of numpy because
the C-API now has the version checking at the very start and will
gracefully exit with an error rather than rudely segfault.

-Travis