[Numpy-discussion] ndarray.fill and ma.array.filled

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 23 09:02:06 CST 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> I don't think we're in disagreement here although I'm not sure.
>
> I will add, on the subject of continuity, that I think there should be a
> function 'ascontiguous' that parallels asarray, but assures that the
> result is contiguous. Although this sometimes returns a copy, I thinks
> that's OK since that's it's job. I would like to see all of the implicit
> copying pushed into functions like asarray and ascontiguous.

I think we agree: something like ascontiguous() is precisely what I had in
mind (I think that's what ravel() does today, but I'm fine if it gets a new
name, as long as the functionality exists).  Obviously a function like this
should explicitly (docstring) say that it does NOT make any guarantees about
whether its return value is a view or a copy, just that it's contiguous.

Cheers,