[Numpy-discussion] Newbie: Matrix form of segment-sphere intersection?

Jim Carroll jimpy at oublic.org
Thu Mar 23 12:12:02 CST 2006

Hi, I'm considering using matricies for some math that determines where segments
intersect spheres.

I have pairs of 3d coordinates
P1, P2;
P3, P4;
P5, P6;
Pn-1, Pn.

one is inside a sphere, and the other is outside the same sphere.  I want the
point where segment joining the point intersects the sphere.  The math is
straightforward enough done in a function (for example:
http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/raytrace/rtinter1.htm)

Are matricies appropriate as a way of applying this sort of computation to a
large number of points?

Where can I find applicable tutorials or recipies?

Thanks,
-Jim