[Numpy-discussion] problem with ndarray attributes

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Mon Mar 27 13:48:08 CST 2006

Hi Travis,

I have run across a feature in numpy which I am not sure how to handle.
  One of the new features of the ndarray is that named fields can be
accessed as attributes.  So, if a user created a recarray with fields
named "address", "phone", and "names" they would be able to access all
of the names in the recarray objects with "recarrayObject.names".

I have found that this can cause problems when a user creates a table
with a field name that happen to coincide with an existing class
attribute or method.  In particular, I am having a problem in pyfits
where a user has a table with a column named "field".  This column name
is causing an attribute "field" to be created that overrides the
existing class field method.

It would seem to me that existing class methods and attributes should
take precedence over the attributes created to correspond to column
names.  Is there a way to implement this behavior in ndarray?

Thank you for your time and help,
Chris