[Numpy-discussion] Re: Status of pyfits with numpy?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Mar 17 03:59:03 CST 2006

Andrew Jaffe wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> Thanks -- that's great. In a quick sprint to read the new WMAP satellite
> data, the table support seems to work for me at first glance. Can I ask
> what sort of trouble has been reported?
>
> Andrew

It's possible to construct new tables using the Coldef mechanism that will
fail because Coldef allows one to associate arrays of higher precision than
the column definition allows. When this used to create a table it fails
since numpy doesn't allow downcasting assignments. We are changing it so
that the column constructor explicitly downcasts any arrays (and raises an
exception if you try to downcast integer arrays that won't fit in the new
size). If you aren't trying to construct new tables from scratch, you won't
encounter this.

Perry