[Numpy-discussion] linalg.svd returns fortran arrays, causes problems

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Mar 20 17:15:26 CST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently updated to the SVN head of numpy, and most of my data
> analysis code broke! Specifically, this code involved computing the
> SVD of flattened multidimensional data, and then reshaping the
> results back to the correct dimensionality. (A very common
> operation.) Now these reshape operations don't generate the right
> results.

The Python user should not care whether the arrays are fortran-order or
c-order (it's just a matter of different striding).  If it does matter,
then it is a bug that must be fixed.

Please show us code that is not working.

If you upgraded to SVN numpy, then it's more likely to be related to the
change to the flags object (now it's a builtin).

-Travis