[Numpy-discussion] Re: Current SVN segfaults under VC7

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:19:06 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Zachary Pincus wrote:
>
>> I've seen this too, and been able to fix it by removing the build
>> directory and rebuilding everything.
>>
>> I wonder if there's a bug in numpy's dependency checking that's
>> causing certain files to not get rebuilt when they ought. I recently
>> updated to the SVN head, and numpy segfaulted on import, just as you
>> describe. After puttering around with GDB, it looked like some of the
>> code was out of synch with other parts of the code, so I decided to
>> rebuild from scratch.
>>
>> After I deleted the entire numpy build directory ('python setup.py
>> clean' *did not* work) and re-built, things worked just fine. I've
>> also had this problem with scipy, and the same solution applied.
>>
>> Anyhow, try removing all traces of build products from the numpy
>> directory and rebuilding... maybe that will fix things.
>
> Just a hint from experience: do NOT trust distutils to do proper
> dependency management and know what to rebuild and what not to.

Generally it does an okay job, I think. numpy does quite a lot with generated
code, however, and distutils *does* have a hard time with that. Unfortunately, I
don't think there is much we can do about that without replacing even more of
distutils.

> Most of
> us have settled on some variation of:

> With that, I can just type
>
> ./makepkg numpy
>
> or
>
> ./makepkg scipy
>
> and I'm almost sure it will do the right thing.
>
> I wonder if we shouldn't add this to the wiki as the recommended
> procedure for builds (at least under *nix).  I know it allows me to do
> fresh svn builds of numpy/scipy at any time without having to think (a
> process rarely successful within the confines of my skull).

+1. At least until 1.0 when the C API settles down.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."