[Numpy-discussion] Access to C/C++, typemaps, pyrex...

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Thu Mar 23 12:06:02 CST 2006

This example makes an __array_struct__ view of data you malloc
elsewhere. In other words, it's only half of the full suite of what
people may want to do. It covers elsewhere ->
numpy/numarray/Numeric/__array_struct__ consumer.  It does not (yet)
cover numpy/__array_struct__ producer -> elsewhere. This would be a
great addition, but nontrivial to cover the full spectrum of memory
allocation strategies that numpy currently provides. A first step might
be to support only a limited set and raise a NotImplementedError if
something more complicated is encountered.

I've actually been quite happy in my code doing something like
allocating my own memory layouts, passing a view of them to numpy using
this interface, doing any manipulation there, and then continuing on in
my own code. This could, for example, be used to make a numpy view of a
wx-allocated buffer... FWIW, I'm using Intel's IPP to both allocate
buffers and further manipulate them, with my Python interface
significantly eased by a numpy view of the data.

But, like I say, I understand this is only half the solution... The wiki
is open for submissions!
Cheers!
Andrew