[Numpy-discussion] eigenvectors() hangs on nan's

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Mar 23 21:15:04 CST 2006

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> The current SVN version of numpy.linalg does not contain "eigenvectors"
> any more (since the cleanup - patches I submitted last week), so you are
> obviously using something older.
>
> In any case, numpy.linalg.eig (and eigvals) do not seem to contain any
> check against NaNs, which probably is a bad idea. scipy.linalg.eig does
> contain such a check, but that module is internally very different to
> that in numpy.
>
> numpy.linalg certainly needs more cleanup. In that course, adding
> safety-checks certainly is one task.

Which routines don't take nans and on which platforms?  It would be nice
to know before checking for nans on every array.   My platform (linux
AMD 32-bit) seems to handle nan's fine in the linalg.eig code.

Perhaps we do need to check every array for nans, but it would be nice
if we could isolate it to certain platforms.

-Travis