[Numpy-discussion] Current SVN segfaults under VC7

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 24 13:04:07 CST 2006

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:

> Tim Hochberg wrote:
>
>> This did fix things...eventually. I removed the build directory and
>> rebuilt. Numpy still bombed the interpreter, although in a new and
>> less exciting way. I then did a clean checkout from svn and rebuilt.
>> Same thing. Then I manally removed numpy from site-packages and
>> reinstalled at which points things worked and all tests passed.
>> So in addition to needing to remove the build directory, it appears
>> that something was hanging out in the destination directory that did
>> not get overwritten and caused problems.
>> Perhaps this description will help the next person who runs into
>> this, but probably not.
>
> Well, the script that I posted does precisely all of this in a
> mindless fashion, which is why I find it useful.  You may want to give
> it a try (it's trivial, but it just ensures you don't forget these
> steps and end up wasting any time chasing the problem).

Me, I use eggs. One advantage is, since I use the bleeding edge for
for all of my code, if there's something wrong with numpy (or scipy) and I
don't have the time to fix it, I can switch to an older version.

I've got a make-egg script that looks like

#!/bin/sh
set -e
PYTHON=python2.4

${PYTHON} setup.py build
${PYTHON} -c 'import setuptools; execfile("setup.py")' bdist_egg

then easy_install2.4 dist/<egg file>