[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] multiplying sparse matrices in scipy-0.4.8?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Mar 28 15:14:00 CST 2006

Ed Schofield wrote:

> Yes, this is a bug.
>
> Travis, could you please take a look at this?  The FORTRAN functions
> dcscmucsc and dcscmucsr both seem to be returning incorrect values in
> indptr.  In fact, could you please explain the Python code in matmat()
> that calls these functions?  I'd like to understand what the "while 1"
> loop is for, and in particular why we have
>     c, rowc, ptrc, irow, kcol, ierr = func(*args)
> when c, rowc, etc are part of *args anyway.

The arguments are input and output arguments because that is my
understanding of f2py's preference if something is both input and ouput
rather than using an in-place argument.

The while True:  loop is so that resizing can occur if the guess on how
many non-zero elements to reserve for the output matrix is wrong.

There were some problems with the re-entry that I've now fixed.  The
tests you added to SciPy now pass.

-Travis