memmap working?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:54:20 CST 2006

On 11/13/06, Mathew Yeates <myeates at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Not sure. When I run "top" I see the line
> Memory: 6016M real, 2895M free, 4174M swap in use, 2427M swap free
>
> Its the second number that drops like a rock. Plus, it never comes back
> until I quit the program. This is a great way to turn my machine into a
> nice desk ornament!

try free:

$[charris at fedora ~]$ free
Mem:       1034952     995212      39740          0     126616     328124
-/+ buffers/cache:     540472     494480
Swap:       979956        152     979804

The second line under 'used' shows actual program use, i.e. used - buffers -
cached from the first line. But if your system is dying I don't know what to
say. My knowledge of these things is a bit sketchy.

Chuck