[Numpy-discussion] Experience with Visit?

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 11:40:01 CDT 2006

Sourceforge mailing list doesn't like me. Here's another try.

I've managed to use visit through it's cli and giving it data through
pyvtk so that this code

if __name__=='__main__':
    from numpy import *
    from numpy.random import randn
    n=10000
    t=linspace(0,1,n)+randn(n)*0.01
    a=t+t*(1+randn(n)*0.1)
    phi=randn(n)*2*pi*0.05
    scatter4( a*cos(2.0*2*pi*t+phi) , a*sin(1.5*2*pi*t+phi) , t
,1.0/sqrt(1+t**2) )

gives this result:
http://www.torgil.org/visit/scatter4.png

You can grab the source using git:  (see http://git.or.cz/ for details)
git clone http://torgil.org/pyvisit.git

I'm using the pty module in python to communicate with the visit cli
which unfortunately is only available on Unix. If you do any updates,
like an usefule API or windows support, please share (that's why I put
it in git due to it's excellent distributed development capabilities).
This  was more of a proof of concept for me.