[Numpy-discussion] Memory errors

Vikalpa Jetly vjetly at i3.com
Thu Oct 5 18:27:52 CDT 2006

I am reading a very large array (~9000,11000) of 1 byte image values. I need
to change values in the array that meet a certain condition so I am running
something like:

b = numpy.where(a>200,0,1)

to create a new array with the changed values. However, I get a
"MemoryError" everytime I try this. I have over 3gb of RAM on my machine
(most of which is available). The process runs fine on smaller datasets. Is
there a maximum array size that numpy handles? Any alternatives/workarounds?

Thanks.
Vikalpa