problem with lapack_lite / BLAS

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Oct 7 13:32:21 CDT 2006

la, 2006-10-07 kello 20:01 +0200, Karol Langner kirjoitti:
> I still get a floating point exception when running the numpy tests, though. I
> haven't checked out numpy for some time, so I don't now if it's a bug, or if
> it's my setup. The same thing happens when I use my manually built
> atlas/lapack and the built-in debian atlas/lapack libraries. I'd be grateful
> for a comment on if this is just me:
>
> >>numpy.test(10,10)
> [output]
> Check reading the top fields of a nested array ... ok
> Check reading the nested fields of a nested array (1st level) ... ok
> Check access nested descriptors of a nested array (1st level) ... ok
> Check reading the nested fields of a nested array (2nd level) ... ok
> Check access nested descriptors of a nested array (2nd level) ... ok
> check_access_fields
> (numpy.core.tests.test_numerictypes.test_read_values_plain_multiple) ... ok
> check_access_fields
> (numpy.core.tests.test_numerictypes.test_read_values_plain_single) ... ok
> check_cdouble (numpy.tests.test_linalg.test_det)Floating point exception

If you are using Debian stable (sarge), you might need to read

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~astraw/coding.html#libc-patched-for-debian-sarge-to-fix-floating-point-exceptions-on-sse2

In short, libc in Debian stable has a bug that makes programs crash with
SIGFPE when SSE instructions are invoked. The solution is to recompile
libc from patched sources, and replace libm.so.6. At least for me this
fixed crashes in numpy.

	Pauli Virtanen