gcc/fortran compilers for building extensions with Tiger/MacPython

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:03:31 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

I've just upgraded my G4 (PPC) from Pather to Tiger, and just
installed MacPython.  I now need to build a slew of numerical extensions.
I'm building them from source (I have lots of custom extensions
to build from source in any case).  I see the binaries available
for Tiger are built with gcc 3.3 for PPC and gcc 4 for Intel; I
think they may be tied to ActivePython but I'm not sure.  When
I start MacPython, I see it is built with gcc 4.  Is this what
I should be using?  I'll also be compiling fortran extensions;
I presume I should use gfortran rather than g77 for this (g77
is what worked with gcc 3.3).  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tom