The NumPy Fortran-ordering quiz

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:44:23 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> > Well, I knew that for numeric, but it was a good deal less obvious in
> > combo with the order keyword.  For instance, contiguous could change
> > its meaning to match up with FORTRAN, so that FORTRAN=True and
> > CONTIGUOUS=True meant Fortran contiguous, which was sort of what I was
> > thinking. Explicit never hurts.
>

> Ahh, so you were confused by looking at flags for 1-d arrays (where

More confused by what seemed to make sense to me. Tim was the one who
actually ran the experiment to see what was going on, and he wasn't sure
what FORTRAN meant either. Now if I had accessed the full set of offsets,
strides, and counts, it would all have become clear. Numpy tries to hide the
nasty details, which is good until you really have to know what it happening
underneath.

Chuck