build errors Solaris x86 64 bit python2.5

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 22:34:01 CDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Mathew Yeates <myeates at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> yes, I got around the problem from my previous posting "distutils
> question". I added ld_args[:0] = ['-m64'] to line 209 of
> python2.5/distutils/unixcompiler.py. Lovely, yes I know.
>
> I now get an error "numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c:7230: error:
> `NPY_ALLOW_THREADS' undeclared". This is after several billion warning
> messages of the form
> numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c:5010: warning: dereferencing
> type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

GCC? Needs the -no-strict-aliasing flag. Everybody hates the default except
the compiler writers because you can't cast pointers between different sized
types, something the linux kernel and numpy do a lot. Things can fail badly
if you don't set the flag and ignore the warnings.

I don't know about the other warning, maybe some syntax error causing the
declaration to be missed.

Chuck