installing numpy on Tiger

Alan Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Oct 31 12:44:02 CST 2006

If other users will not profit from this question,
please consider it OT and ignore it.  But perhaps
it will prove useful to some potential numpy users.

I am a long time Windows user who has been happily
using the Python and numpy installers.  At work I
need to use a Mac for a while.  I installed Python 2.5
from python.org painlessly, but it looks like
I'll have to compile numpy from source.
Do I understand that right?

I have used interpreted languages for pretty much
all my computing needs, so I am hoping someone patient
will point me to or lead me through the steps I need
to take to successfully install numpy on this platform.

Thank you,
Alan Isaac