[Numpy-discussion] complex numbers

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 3 15:22:38 CDT 2006

numpy.isreal(a) is a "top level" function (i.e., not a class member
function) in numpy; here's its help doc:

Help on function isreal in module numpy.lib.type_check:

isreal(x)
    Return a boolean array where elements are True if that element
    is real (has zero imaginary part)

    For scalars, return a boolean.

As for checking for pure imaginaries (i.e., real part == 0), one could use:

    x.imag == -j*x

or

    numpy.isreal(i*x)

or simply