[Numpy-discussion] [OT] Interesting interview with Pearu (f2py and others...)

George Nurser gnurser at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 6 09:53:40 CDT 2006

On 06/10/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since this is not about me, I think it's fair to plug an interview :)
>
> http://www.pythonthreads.com/articles/interviews/once-i-learned-about-python,-i-stopped-trying-out-different-languages.html
>
> contains a very nice interview with Pearu, where in fact I learned a
> number of interesting things not only about him but also about what's
> happening with f2py.
>
> Good job, Pearu :)

Great to hear that f2py is being developed so actively.

Feature suggestion:
Fortran 90 has interface blocks that allow the calling routine to pick
up whichever of a set of routines has the appropriate datatype. So one
has foo_real32,foo_real64 etc held within the interface block, but
calling foo will automatically choose the correct routine.

I don't know whether it's possible to make this work with f2py, but it
would be very useful if it could be.

--George Nurser.