numpy on centos4.4?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 19:18:06 CDT 2006

Has anyone built numpy-1.0rc2/scipy-0.5.1 on centos4.4?

It seems that a fortran90+ compiler is required, so I installed
gcc4-gfortran-4.1.0-18.EL4
libgfortran-4.1.0-18.EL4

Didn't quite work though.  Built numpy+scipy OK, but then:
Warning: FAILURE importing tests for <module 'scipy.linalg.blas'
from '...packages/scipy/linalg/blas.pyc'>
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/linalg/tests/test_blas.py:22:
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-pac\
kages/scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol: srotmg_ (in ?)

Not sure yet what's causing this.  I suspect it is because of a mixture of
different compilers/libraries?  Like, maybe blas was compiled with f77 from
gcc3, while fblas was compiled with gfortran from gcc4?