distutils data_files target

Christian Kristukat ckkart at hoc.net
Thu Oct 26 01:56:42 CDT 2006

Hi,

I noticed that plain distutils and numpy.distutils differ in where they put the
files specified with the keyword 'data_files' ( at least on windows XP). With
distutils they go to 'PREFIX' and with numpy.distutils they go to 'PLATLIB',
i.e. relative to the package installation directory. I guess this is for
backward compatibility with python 2.3 which lacks a 'package_data' option. How
can I install files to 'PREFIX' with numpy.disutils? Some data I really don't
want to have lying around in the package dir, like e.g. documentation files,
examples, etc.

Regards, Christian