Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 18:26:22 CST 2006

One thing I see with PIL and Matplotlib and PyOpenGL is that they're having
to add specific support for Numpy and numeric and numarray and PIL and
ctypes etc.
I'm also in the camp that doesn't really understand this stuff well enough
to really argue in favor of it, but would the proposed extensions make it
possible for all these different packages to just have to support "buffer
protocol" and magically be able to work with numpy or numeric without having
to introduce explicit dependencies and support code for all those other
packages?  If I've got the facts straight then I'd be happy to go and say
that on comp.lang.python.

--bb