[Numpy-discussion] how to get info about internals of an array object ?

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 15 14:13:43 CDT 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 10:00, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what I'm asking is if numpy has an equivalent to numarray's info()
function:

> numpy.numarray.info(numpy.arange(10))
>
> (get recent SVN as there were some bugs just fixed.
>
> -Travis

Thanks,

should this maybe also be added somewhere in the numpy module itself !?
I guess the question is, what the original intent was for numarray to put it
in (only for debugging ?) -- then we could decide if this would also make
sense for numpy.

I have never used numpy.info(obj) - I don't know what is does (compared to
__doc__)   but maybe it could be extended like
if isinstance( obj , N.ndarray):
    print  N.numarray.info( obj )

right now it prints nothings (and returns None)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase