[Numpy-discussion] feasability study to migrate from numarray to numpy

Mon Sep 18 11:55:31 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I am doing a feseability study to migrate our Python based FEM
applications from Numarray to Numpy.

First, I tried to install Numpy from Python-2.4 on linux-x86,
linux-86-64bit. So, all work fine. Great! Moreover, I change easily the
BLAS linked libraries. I tried with ATLAS and GOTO. Great again!

Second, I try to do the same think on windows-x86 without success. So my
first question is: is Numpy-1.0b5 has been tested and is supported on
Windows?

Third, I tried to install Numpy from Python-2.5, which is our standard
Python, on linux-x86... and the compilation stopped during the
compilation of core/src/multiarraymodule.c. So my second question is: is
there a workaround or is the porting to Python2.5 is yet schedule?

My third question is: is the tool to migrate the numarray based Python
scripts (numpy.numarray.alter_code1) work fine? (I suppose yes...)

We have created a lot of bindings in order to pilote our generic-C++
framework with Python scripts. So, about the Numpy API, is it widely
different than the Numarray API? (We will order the Numpy Guide too.)

To not duplicate large numerical memory arrays, Numarray allows to
aliasing the memory of some bindings with arrays from Numarray, and we
have used this feature intensively. So, I wonder if it is currently
supported (or even scheduled)?

Thanks for your answer,
Mathieu.