[Numpy-discussion] numpy-1.0b5 can't find ATLAS

Hanno Klemm klemm at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 13 10:09:40 CDT 2006

Hello,

when I try to build numpy-1.0b5 it doesn't find my ATLAS libraries.

I had to build hem from scratch (version 3.7.17) and the compile went
well. I have installed them under

/scratch/python2.4/atlas

furthermore, I have blas and lapack installed under

/scatch/python2.4/lib

I adjusted the environment variables as:

BLAS=/scratch/python2.4/lib/libfblas.a
LAPACK=/scratch/python2.4/lib/libflapack.a
ATLAS=/scratch/python2.4/atlas

and my site.cfg looks like

[atlas]
library_dirs = /scratch/python2.4/atlas/lib
atlas_libs = lapack, blas, cblas, atlas
include_dirs = /scratch/python2.4/atlas/include

python setup.py config then finds the blas and lapack libraries under
/scratch/python2.4/lib but does not find the atlas libraries.

What am I doing wrong here?

Hanno

P.S.: The output of python setup.py config reads:

atlas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/atlas
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/atlas
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in
/scratch/python2.4/atlas/include/atlas
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in
/scratch/python2.4/atlas/include/atlas
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in
/scratch/python2.4/atlas/include
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/atlas/include
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in
/scratch/python2.4/atlas/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/atlas/lib
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /scratch/python2.4/lib
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries lapack,blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_threads_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_info:
[...]
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

/scratch/src/numpy-1.0b5/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1205: UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
lapack_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack']
    library_dirs = ['/scratch/python2.4/lib']
    language = f77

  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'fblas']
    library_dirs = ['/scratch/python2.4/lib']
    define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]
    language = f77

running config

--