[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.0 release-candidate 1.0 this weekend

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 17:41:34 CDT 2006

Hello all

I just ran NumPy and SciPy through Valgrind, and everything looks clean on
that the NumPy side.

Some other things that could be fixed for RC1:

- GCC 4.1.1 warning in ufuncobject.c:

numpy/core/src/ufuncobject.c: In function âPyUFunc_RegisterLoopForTypeâ:
numpy/core/src/ufuncobject.c:3215: warning: "cmp" may be used uninitialized
in this function

- Time to kill the dft package?

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/dft/__init__.py:2: UserWarning: The
dft subpackage will be removed by 1.0 final -- it is now called fft
  warnings.warn("The dft subpackage will be removed by 1.0 final -- it is
now called fft")

- Test failure

ERROR: check_instance_methods
(numpy.core.tests.test_defmatrix.test_matrix_return)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_defmatrix.py", line
166, in check_instance_methods
    b = f(*args)
ValueError: setitem must have at least one argument

Although not strictly NumPy issues, the following crops up when you run the
SciPy test suite through Valgrind:

Valgrind warnings when running
scipy.integrate.tests.test_integrate.test_odeint
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/246

Valgrind warnings when running Cephes tests
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/247

Memory leak in fitpack
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/248

I think I've figured out #248. #246 should be relatively easy to fix. #247
is... interesting.

Regards,

Albert