[Numpy-discussion] lexsort segfault sorting strings

eric eric at enthought.com
Thu Sep 28 07:05:21 CDT 2006

I've been using the new record arrays and lexsort from numpy quite a lot
lately.  Very cool stuff.

Using the nightly egg for numpy from here (I believe it is up to date...):

http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/numpy-nightly-py2.4-win32.egg

I get segfaults when using lexsort on character arrays.  A lot of my
columns in record arrays are string based, so sorting the arrays based
on these columns would be really handy.

Here is an example that crashes for me.

<http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/numpy-nightly-py2.4-win32.egg>C:\wrk\mt\trunk\src\lib\mt\statement\tests>python
Python 2.4.3 - Enthought Edition 1.0.0 (#69, Aug  2 2006, 12:09:59) [MSC
v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
 >>> from numpy import lexsort
 >>> lst = [1,2,3]
 >>> lexsort((lst,))