[Numpy-discussion] question about standalone small software and teaching

vallis.35530053@blogline... vallis.35530053@blogline...
Wed Apr 4 16:51:38 CDT 2007

--- Discussion of Numerical Python <numpy-discussion@scipy.org wrote:
vallis.35530053@bloglines.com
wrote:

> > BTW, I'm using Python 2.4.4 on Macintel, with wxPython-2.8.0.

> We require wxPython 2.6 at the moment.

Ah, good to know. This could
explain the errors I get when compiling in place.

> > If I get the latest
SVN of the enthought tool suite, go to enthought/src/lib/enthought/traits,

> > and build with
> >
> > python setup.py build_src build_clib build_ext
--inplace

> > as suggested in the enthought wiki, and then add
enthought/src/lib to my
> > PYTHONPATH, then your snippet fails with
> >

> > --- begin error message ---
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):

> >   File "prova.py", line 5, in ?
> >
> > class Camera(HasTraits):

> > NameError: name 'HasTraits' is not defined
>
> Hmm, it works for me.
Are you sure that your build is being correctly picked up?
> Import enthought,
then print enthought.__file__.

Yes, it is picking up the right one. I assume
I can run the setup.py in enthought/src/lib/enthought/traits to get only traits,
right? I'm not installing scipy, or anything else.

> > As you can see,
I'm very confused... if only there was a traits Python
> > egg...

There are, but only binaries for win32 at the moment. Building from source
on OS
> X should be straightforward, though.
>
>   https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/IntelMacPython25

Ok, I'll try tomorrow and let you know.