[Numpy-discussion] Big list of Numpy & Scipy users

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Thu Apr 5 00:52:13 CDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Sebastian Haase <haase@msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> Why do you call it
> Scipy_Projects
> if it also lists people/project who use (only) numpy.
>
> I wish I could suggest a better name ...
> I just checked the swig.org web site;  the call it just
> "projects"   ( http://www.swig.org/projects.html )
> [ Open source projects using SWIG ]
> so maybe just leaving out the "Scipy_" part.
>
> BTW,  do peer review papers count !?  I have two of them, using numpy
> (originally numarray, but now it's numpy)
>
> Maybe the projects should be in categories:
> - open source
> - commercial   (?)
> - papers
> - ??
>
> -Sebastian
>

> On 4/4/07, Bill Baxter <wbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There is no such list that I know of, but you may start one on the wiki if you like.
> >
> > Ok, I made a start:  http://www.scipy.org/Scipy_Projects
> > Anyone who has a project that depends on Numpy or Scipy, please go add
> > your info there!
> >
> > I haven't linked it from anywhere, because it looks pretty pathetic
> > right now with only three or four entries.  But hopefully everyone
> > will jumps in and add their project to the list.
> >
> > Part of the idea is that this should be a good place to point
> > nay-sayers to when they say "meh - numpy... that's a niche project for
> > a handful of scientists."
> >
> > So ... hopefully a good portion of the links will be things other than
> > science projects.  There will hopefully be a lot of things that
> > "ordinary users" would care about.  :-)
> >
> > I couldn't figure out how to add an image, but if someone knows how to
> > do that, please do.
> >
> > --bb

Good points.  I don't really have answers.  So just go to town
reorganizing as you feel fit.
But open source / commercial is not a real dichotomy.  And a paper may
be written about a system that is available as open source.  I tried
to think of some such categories, but applications vs libs was about
the best I could come up with.  Probably a tagging system would be the
most appropriate, but that's not so easy to make work on a Wiki.

--bb