[Numpy-discussion] Question about Optimization (Inline and Pyrex)

Tue Apr 17 14:25:59 CDT 2007

On 17/04/07, Lou Pecora <lou_boog2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now, I didn't know that.  That's cool because I have a
> new dual core Intel Mac Pro.  I see I have some
> learning to do with multithreading.  Thanks.

No problem. I had completely forgotten about the global interpreter
lock, wrote a little multithreading tool that ran my code in three
different threads, and got just about a 2x speedup on a dual-core
machine. Then someone reminded me about the GIL and I was puzzled...
your results will certainly depend on your code, but I found it useful
to have a little parallel-for-loop idiom for all those cases where
parallelism is stupidly easy.

Anne