[Numpy-discussion] NumPy benchmark

rex rex@nosyntax....
Tue Apr 17 19:14:36 CDT 2007

Using MKL 9.1_beta made no difference in the prior benchmark, but it
does improve speed in an earlier benchmark I posted.

From:
http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/025673.html
''' A program that uses Monte Carlo to estimate how often the number of rare events
with a Poisson distribution will differ by a given amount.
'''
import numpy as n
from numpy.random import poisson
from time import time

lam = 4.0  # mu & var for Poisson distributed rands (they are equal in Poisson)
N = 10              #number of times to run the program
maxNumEvents = 20   #events larger than this are ignored
numPois = 100000    #number of pairs of outcomes to generate
freqA = 2           #number of times event A occurred
freqB = 6           #number of times event B occurred

print "#rands fraction [freqA,freqB]  fraction [lam,lam]  largest%  total[mean,mean]"
t0 = time()
for g in range(1):
    for h in range(N):
        suma = n.zeros((maxNumEvents+1,maxNumEvents+1), int)  #possible outcomes array
        count = poisson(lam, size =(numPois,2))  #generate array of pairs of Poissons
        for i in range(numPois):
            #if count[i,0] > maxNumEvents: continue
            #if count[i,1] > maxNumEvents: continue
            suma[count[i,0],count[i,1]] += 1
        d = n.sum(suma)
        print d, float(suma[freqA,freqB])/d, float(suma[lam,lam])/d , suma.max(), suma[lam,lam]
print 'time', time()-t0

Using the SUSE NumPy rpm:
python relative_risk.py
#rands fraction [2,6]  fraction [lam,lam]  largest%  total[mean,mean]
100000 0.01539 0.03869 3869 3869
100000 0.01534 0.03766 3907 3766
100000 0.01553 0.03841 3859 3841
100000 0.01496 0.03943 3943 3943
100000 0.01513 0.03829 3856 3829
100000 0.01485 0.03825 3993 3825
100000 0.01545 0.03716 3859 3716
100000 0.01526 0.03909 3919 3909
100000 0.01491 0.03826 3913 3826
100000 0.01478 0.03771 3782 3771
time 2.38847184181

Using the MKL [8.1] NumPy:
python relative_risk.py
#rands fraction [2,6]  fraction [lam,lam]  largest%  total[mean,mean]
100000 0.01502 0.03764 3895 3764
100000 0.01513 0.03841 3841 3841
100000 0.01511 0.03753 3810 3753
100000 0.01577 0.03766 3873 3766
100000 0.01541 0.0373 3963 3730
100000 0.01586 0.03862 3912 3862
100000 0.01552 0.03785 3870 3785
100000 0.01502 0.03854 3896 3854
100000 0.015 0.03803 3880 3803
100000 0.01515 0.03749 3855 3749
time 2.0455300808

So the rpm version only takes ~17% longer to run this program. I'm surprised
that there isn't a larger difference. Perhaps there will be in a
different type of program. BTW, the cpu is an Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo
overclocked to 3.06 GHz (it will run reliably at 3.24 GHz).

With NumPy built using MKL 9.1_beta the program runs in 1.66
seconds. Correcting for the slightly lower CPU speed used (2.93 GHz), this
corresponds to 1.59 seconds. The 8.1 version takes 29% longer (this may
be partially/all due to different compiler flags being used), and the
8.1 version used with Python compiled with gcc instead of icc takes 50%
longer to run.

The icc flags used were:
-fast  (enables -xP -O3 -ipo -no-prec-div -static)
-funroll-loops
-fno-alias
-parallel

I don't know if there are obviously better choices for the Core 2 Duo.

I'd like to run a more comprehensive benchmark, say Scimark translated
from C to Python/NumPy.

http://math.nist.gov/scimark2/download_c.html

-rex
--
Those who forget the pasta are condemed to reheat it.