[Numpy-discussion] Question about Optimization (Inline, and Pyrex)

Wed Apr 18 00:38:49 CDT 2007

Anne Archibald wrote:

>  And the scope of improvement would be very limited; an
> expression like A*B+C*D would be much more efficient, probably, if the
> whole expression were evaluated at once for each element (due to
> memory locality and temporary allocation). But it is impossible for
> numpy, sitting inside python as it does, to do that.

My understanding is that alternative implementations of python such as
pypy makes this kind of things possible (at least in theory). I asked a
question about this a few months ago:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pypy-dev@codespeak.net/msg02243.html

David